Recipe courtesy of a very creative patient!
This recipe comes courtesy of a very creative patient who incorporated all the comforts of a traditional Shepherd’s pie, but modified it to fit the VLCD. The Melodious Blend from Trader Joe’s is found in the frozen section, and is chock-full of colorful lentils and garbanzo beans, serving as an excellent source of fiber. We’ve highlighted riced cauliflower before, but love the ingenuity of using it to create creamy “potatoes.” Get comfy, and enjoy this crafty dish!
Recipe serves 6
1 pound lean ground turkey
4 cups riced cauliflower (packet from Trader Joe’s works great here)
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 bag Melodious Blend from Trader Joe’s (may sub a mixed veggie blend without corn)
1 cup nonfat Greek yogurt
1 tablespoon shredded Parmesan cheese
1 cup diced onion
1 tablespoon garlic salt
¼ cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- In a skillet, brown turkey. Add the diced onion and Worcestershire sauce until no pink is left. Set aside.
- Microwave Melodious Blend (or other mixed veggies) as instructed on packaging. Set aside.
- Boil cauliflower until soft (if using riced cauliflower, put in a microwave safe bowl, cover, and cook on high for 3-4 minutes, stirring halfway through).
- Place cooked cauliflower into a food processor with ½ cup of Greek yogurt, Parmesan, and garlic salt. Puree until smooth.
- In a baking dish (roughly 9×13 inches), mix cooked turkey and Melodious Blend with remaining ½ cup of Greek yogurt.
- Top with mashed cauliflower and bake 16-20 minutes.
- Sprinkle ¼ cup of shredded cheddar cheese on top of cauliflower and bake for another five minutes, or until cheese is melted.
Nutrition Facts: 201 calories, 5g fat (1g sat. fat), 18g carb, 6g fiber, 6g sugar, 23g protein.