(Adapted from True Food Kitchen)
For the patties:
1 1/3 cups red quinoa
2 2/3 cups water
1 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon lemon juice
½ teaspoon red chile flakes
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1 tablespoon minced fresh mint leaves
1 tablespoon minced fresh oregano leaves
1 teaspoon kosher salt
Pinch ground black pepper
¼ cup oats, processed into flour
- Cook the quinoa: Rinse the quinoa under cold running water. In a saucepan, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to a gentle simmer and cook, covered, for 15 minutes. Remove from heat and set aside for 15 minutes. Fluff with a fork. This should make about 4 cups quinoa; reserve any extra for another use.
- In a bowl, whisk together the olive oil, lemon juice, chile flakes and eggs.
- In a separate large bowl, combine the quinoa, cumin, mint, oregano, salt and pepper. Add the wet ingredients and mix until fully incorporated. Fold in the oats.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- To form the patties, divide the mixture into 10 equal amounts. Press the mixture into ring molds or large cookie cutters to form the patties. Bake the patties until they are firm to the touch and dry, 14 to 16 minutes (timing will vary depending on the size and thickness of the patties). Remove from heat and set aside to cool. Rewarm in a warm oven before using.
To create the inside out burger:
10 slices tomato
10 slices cucumber
5 leaves butter lettuce, torn into bite-sized pieces
15 red onion rings
Generous 1/8 teaspoon salt
1 ½ teaspoons lemon juice
10 prepared quinoa patties, warmed
5 tablespoons hummus
- In a large mixing bowl, toss the tomatoes, cucumbers, lettuce, onions and feta cheese with the salt and lemon juice.
- To assemble each burger, spread 1 tablespoon hummus on one side (the “bottom”) of a quinoa patty. Top the patty with 1/5 of the tossed vegetable mixture. Top with a second patty. Repeat to form 5 quinoa burgers. Serve immediately.
Each composed burger: Calories 294; Protein 10 grams; Carbohydrates 40 grams; Fiber 6 grams; Fat 11 grams