This tasty and creative recipe (submitted by one of our wonderful patients) is a great way to curb a pizza cravings without breaking the bank on calories. Serve alongside a big salad for a balanced meal filled with veggies and protein. Try this recipe and enjoy all the flavors of a delicious pizza while still staying on track with your VLCD plan. Bon appetit!
- 6 portobello mushroom caps, stems removed, washed and dried with a paper towel
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 6 teaspoons Italian seasoning (or a dried oregano and basil leaf blend), divided
- 3/4 cup pizza sauce or marinara sauce (no sugar added)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese (or a pizza cheese blend)
- 12 oz. ground turkey
- 6 cherry or grape tomatoes , sliced thinly
- Salt and pepper to taste
- In a pan on high heat, saute ground turkey until cooked through and no longer pink. Stir in 2 teaspoons of the Italian seasoning and salt and pepper to taste. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to broil / grill settings on high heat. Arrange oven shelf to the middle of your oven.
- Combine the oil, garlic and 4 teaspoons of the seasoning together in a small bowl. Brush the bottoms of each mushroom with the garlic oil mixture and place each mushroom, oil side down, on a lightly greased baking sheet / tray.
- Fill each mushroom with 2 tablespoons of the pizza sauce per cap, 1/4 cup of mozzarella cheese, and about 2 oz. of ground turkey meat. Broil / grill until cheese has melted and is golden in color (about 8 minutes).
- Season lightly with salt and pepper and serve. Enjoy!
Nutrition Facts (per 1 mushroom, 6 servings): 212 calories, 12.2g fat (3.7g sat. fat), 7.4g carb, 2.1g fiber, 3.8g sugar, 17.1g protein.