Recipe adapted from Skinnytaste
This week, cauliflower makes its triumphant return in this skillet taco cauliflower rice. We love the versatility of this dish, and its ability to take you throughout the week, made possible by switching up the base or the toppings (for those on a VLCD, please be mindful of calorie modifications, with the goal of ~275 calories/meal). For Taco Tuesday, place the cauliflower mix in a low-carb tortilla (the 50 calorie variety) for savory, spicy tacos. On Wednesday, use a salad base (we love any form of kale, the Cruciferous Crunch from Trader Joe’s, or crispy romaine) for a quick, protein-packed salad. On Thursday, cut the portion of the cauliflower mix in half, and add ½ cup cooked of your favorite ancient grain for a fiber-full grain bowl. You made it, it’s Friday. Swap out the avocado for an egg, and you have an umami delight for any meal of the day. Happy cooking!
Serves 4 (portion is 1 ¼ cups)
- 1 lb 93% lean ground turkey
- 1 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 small onion, minced
- 1 bell pepper, minced
- 3/4 cup water
- 4 oz canned tomato sauce (look for no added sugars)
- 4 cups uncooked riced cauliflower (about 1 bag of Trader Joe’s Riced Cauliflower from the refrigerated section, or 2 bags of the Trader Joe’s Organic Riced Cauliflower from the frozen section)
- 1 4-oz avocado (¼ per serving)
- Chopped lettuce
- Chopped cilantro
- Lime wedges
- Greek yogurt (~1 tablespoon/serving) as a sour cream substitute
- 1 egg
- Over high heat, brown the ground turkey in a large skillet, breaking into smaller pieces as it cooks, about 5 minutes.
- When no longer pink, add 1 teaspoon salt and the rest of the dry seasoning (garlic powder, cumin, chili powder, paprika, oregano) and mix well.
- Add the onion, bell pepper, water, and tomato sauce. Cover, and simmer on low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Remove the cover and add the cauliflower, as well as ¼ teaspoon salt, and cook until tender, about 8 minutes.
- Transfer to a plate or bowl, and serve with ¼ avocado, lettuce, salsa, lime, and/or Greek yogurt.
Nutrition Facts per serving (toppings include ¼ avocado, cilantro, lettuce, salsa, lime): 289 calories, 27g protein, 15g fat, 17g carbs, 8g fiber, 7g sugar.