Recipe Adapted from The Minimalist Baker
It’s that time of year….. soup season! This week we have a delicious plant-based soup to enjoy in the toasty comfort of your home. What makes this soup filling and satisfying is the inclusion of protein/fiber rich lentils and dark leafy greens. This one-pot recipe is hearty, colorful and flavorful. And to top it off, this comforting soup only requires simple ingredients and is quick to make!
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1 tsp fresh ginger, minced
- 2 medium whole carrots, peeled and chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup zucchini, quartered
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1½ Tbsp curry powder
- 5-6 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup green lentils, rinsed and drained
- 4 cups kale, chopped
- Sea salt and pepper, to taste
- Lemon juice (optional)
- Fresh cilantro, chopped (optional)
- Heat a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add in oil, onion, ginger, and carrots. Season with a dash of salt and pepper before stirring.
- Stirring frequently, cook 3-5 minutes until onions are translucent and golden.
- Add in garlic, zucchini, and bell peppers & stir.
- Cook 3-4 minutes until vegetables are slightly golden before adding in curry powder.
- Stir to coat evenly and cook for 2 minutes more.
- Pour in 5 cups of vegetable broth and turn up heat to medium-high.
- When the pot reaches to a boil, stir in lentils and reduce to low heat.
- Simmer for 20-25 minutes, uncovered, until lentils are tender.
- Taste and adjust seasonings. Feel free to add in more curry powder for a more bold curry flavor, or salt & pepper for more balance.
- If the soup has become too viscous, pour in the remaining vegetable broth.
- Stir and cooked until thoroughly warm.
- Add in kale during the last few minutes of cooking. Cover to let them steam until tender but still bright green, about 2-3 minutes.
- Serve right away as is or with fresh cilantro and lemon juice (optional). Store leftovers in the fridge for up to 5 days or in the freezer up to 1 month.
Nutrition Facts (per ¼ cup of lentils + 1½ cup broth)
253 kcal, 16 g protein, 2g fat, 48 g CHO, 12 g fiber, 8 g sugar