Recipe adapted from The Minimalist Baker
Want to upgrade your breakfast or brunch game? Try adding in a Mediterranean flair to get a rich and unique palette while enjoying common ingredients! ‘Nargesi’ is Persian spinach & eggs, making it a fantastic protein as it is delicious and earthy with the addition of turmeric!
On the flipside, the Mediterranean barley salad is refreshing and packed with extra fiber to keep you full and content until your next meal!
- Olive oil spray
- 1 small onion, sliced
- 1½ cup fresh spinach, quartered
- ¼ tsp turmeric
- ⅛ tsp pepper
- 1 egg
- Dash of salt
- Spray olive oil onto pan and heat pan over medium heat.
- Add in onions and cook until golden and transparent.
- Add in spinach and sautėe until cooked.
- Sprinkle in turmeric, salt, and pepper.
- Break egg directly into the pan.
- Top pan with lid and cover until the egg whites are cooked and the yolk is still soft.
- Serve hot.
- You can easily double or triple the recipe!
Mediterranean Barley Salad
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 1 large red bell pepper, finely diced
- ¼ cup slivered almonds
- 1 cup packed spinach
- 2 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
- ½ tsp crushed pepper
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar
- Pour in water into a medium pot.
- Heat pot on medium heat and when boiling, add in barley.
- Give a quick stir and turn down heat to simmer.
- Let barley cook another 3-4 minutes.
- While waiting for the barley to cook, add in bell pepper, almonds, spinach, lemon juice, to a large bowl.
- When barley is done cooking and tender, transfer to a colander before rinsing with cold water to prevent it from becoming too sticky.
- Toss in cooled barley to the toppings bowl and add in olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt, and pepper to taste.
- Mix and serve!
Nutrition Facts (per ½ cup of barley salad + 1 serving of Nargesi)
236 kcal, 11 g protein, 10 g fat, 28 g CHO, 6 g fiber, 6 g sugar