Check out this post on our new blog at: https://www.enarahealth.com/2019/02/26/vlcd-banana-oat-muffins/
A VLCD-friendly muffin to add to your portable breakfast repertoire! Have 2 muffins + ½ tbsp nut butter or one egg (184 calories + ~50 calories for the nut butter or 80 calories for one egg) for some protein and/or healthy fat to create a balanced meal. Here’s the quick, easy recipe that will be a new go-to for those weekday mornings.
Makes 9-10 muffins
- 1 1/2 cups rolled oats
- 2 ripe bananas, mashed
- 1 egg
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed
- 1 tbsp chia seeds
- ¼ cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ⅛ tsp salt
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp nutmeg
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Coat a standard muffin tin with nonstick spray or use paper liners.
- In a large bowl beat together mashed banana, egg, almond milk, baking soda, vanilla, salt, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Add 1 cup rolled oats, chia and flaxseed to a food processor or high-speed blender. Process into a powder.
- Fold oat/chia/flaxseed mixture plus additional ½ cup unprocessed oats into wet ingredient mixture. Stir until just combined, but don’t overmix.
- Pour batter into muffin tin, filling until ~⅔ way to the top. Bake for 22-25 minutes, until the tops of the muffins are set and a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Allow the muffins cool in the pan for 10 minutes. Remove from the pan and enjoy!
Nutrition for 2 muffins: 184 calories, 30g carbohydrate, 6g fiber, 5g fat, 6g protein, 6g sugar (0g added sugar)